"Please note field marked * is required"
[ Hotels in Nairobi ]
Hell's gate national park is located on the floor of the Great Rift Valley. It derived its name from the intense geothermal activity within its boundaries. The park has a spectacular scenery that include towering cliffs, water-gouged gorges, stark rock towers, scrub clad volcanoes and huge plumes of geothermal steam from the volcanic activity underneath. The park lies north west of Nairobi and south of Lake Naivasha in Kenya. The main setting of the film - Lion King - was modeled after the park. Visitors can enjoy mountain biking, rock climbing and a natural spa. Hells Gate is an ideal place for a day-out trip from Nairobi.
Note: Accommodation in this park can be BOOKED individually or with a Safari. (see safaris)
The park is home to: African buffalo, zebra, eland, hartebeest, Thomson's gazelle and baboons which are common. The park is also home to klipspringer antelope and Chandler’s mountain reedbuck.
Birds: there are over 100 species of birds in the park, including vultures, Verreaux's Eagles, augur buzzard and swifts.
Reptiles found here include: lizards and gecko.
Insects include: butterflies, mosquitos and beetle.
• Take time to see this wildlife.
• Great Rift Valley Lodge offers 70 guest rooms. In addition, available are private homely 2, 3 and 4 bedrooms Villas.
• Lake Naivasha Country Club comprises 49 guest rooms with twin, double or triple rooms for families.
• Sarova Lion Hill Game Lodge has 67 charlets comprising the following:
o 64 standard rooms.
o 3 suites.
• Hotels in Nairobi are also ideal due to the parks's close proximity from Nairobi
Other types of accommodation in this park include:
o Endachata campsite.
o Naiburta campsite.
o Oldubai campsite.
o Picnic sites which are carefully selected quiet spots that offer scenic views of the park.
Park entry: The park is open daily from 6:00 am to 6:00 pm.
Please note that visitors are turned away after 6:00 pm.
Entry to the park is by smart card, obtained and loaded at the main gate.
The park is popular due to its close proximity from Nairobi and lowered park fees compared to other Kenya National Parks.
• Jorua Gorge is the major attraction at the Hells Gate National Park in Naivasha. The gorge is a break in the cliffs formed by a prehistoric outlet from Lake Naivasha.
Major attractions to this park include: • Spectacular scenery including the towering cliffs, water-gouged gorges, stark rock towers, scrub clad volcanoes and belching plumes of geothermal steam that make it a very unique place to visit in Africa.
• Wildlife viewing
• Raptor nesting in cliffs
• Hot springs
• The Olkaria Geothermal Station
• The Mervyn Carnelley Raptor Hide and
• Tourist circuit nature trails
• Biking: You will have the opportunity to pass the grazing wildlife on a bike. It is an enjoyable group outing and team bonding activity. In addition visitors can enjoy mountain biking and rock climbing.
• Game drive: Visitors can engage in game drives. Wildlife that can be seen here include lions, leopards, and cheetahs. Others include hyraxes, buffalo, zebra, eland, hartebeest, thomson's gazelle, hyena, baboons, antelope and Chanler's mountain reedbuck. The park has historically been an important home for the rare lammergeyer vultures.
• Walking Safaris include nature trails along the towering cliffs and plumes of vapour from underneath. You will discover the abundant plant life, birds, reptiles and insects.
• By Road: The park is accessible via tarmac road from Nairobi to Naivasha town. The park lies on the lake Road South at the junction 5km south of Naivasha.
• By Air: Local flights from Wilson are regular through Naivasha air strip.
(Make sure to contact us if you wish to visit this park for your next holiday activity.)
Park charges are based on " " Kenya Wildlife Services (KWS) tariffs which are reviewed from time to time. Please note that if you have booked a complete wildlife safari package with us, park charges are included in the total cost of your safari at the time of booking. Therefore you need not worry about park entry fee!
However please note that these rates are for guidance only. KWS rates are subject to change without notifying you.
• This park accepts Safari Cards.
• Park Entry Fee are based on KWS Tarrifs.
• Hell's Gate National park is protected from human pressures to prevent unneccessary human-wildlife conflict and as a visitor, you are therefore required to leave the park as tidy as you found it. Litering and dropping rubbish is strictly prohibited. You will be prosecuted if you violate these rules.
• If you are on game drive or walking safari, it is your responsibility to ensure that you stand at a safe distance from wild animals.
• The park is open daily from 6:00 am to 6:00 pm.
• Visitors are turned away after 6:00 pm.
• Entry to the park is by smart card obtained and loaded at the main gates.
• Children must be accompanied by an adult at all times.
The park is only 90 kilometres from Nairobi. It is therefore a good "1 day excursion" for team building or simply for enjoyment and relaxation from city life.