"Please note field marked * is required"
Jongomero Camp is located on the banks of the seasonal Jongomero sand river which is a natural pathway for animals in search of water in the remote southern part of Ruaha National Park in southern Tanzania. The camp is a good choice accommodation for a southern circuit safari. It is a secluded camp thereby offering you a chance to discover true African wilderness. Guests here can indulge in the luxury of solitude that offers not only an intimate closeness to nature but also exclusive game viewing experiences. Facilities include a camp bar, lounge, restaurant and library with sweeping views of the river banks beyond. Game drives use 4WD open sided vehicles. You will experience the blood-pumping thrills of tracking animals like elephant, buffalo, hippo, crocodile, lion, leopard, sable antelope, roan antelope, dikdik, greater kudu, lesser kudu, grants gazelle, honey badgers and wild dogs. Ruaha is one of Africas birding destinations. To enjoy a definite wilderness experience then a fly-camping safari will be your natural choice.
• Accommodation comprises 8 large well-appointed tented suites, built on raised wooden platforms, under enormous thatched roofs that encompass a spacious private verandah which overlooks the riverbed.
Luxurious tented suites - These rooms blend in beautifully with their surroundings and are built on raised wooden platforms. They have a private verandah that overlooks the riverbed.
✓ spacious rooms ✓ private verandah ✓ thatched roof ✓ laundry ✓ telephone at reception ✓ mosquito nets ✓ children’s menu ✓ WiFi in public areas ✓ seating areas ✓ king size beds ✓ tastefully furnished ✓ private parking.
It is the perfect wildlife adventure for those who love nature. Fly-camping requires a minimum of 2 to a maximum of 6 guests at any given time. It is bookable from August to November each year.
Main dining room comprises an open wooden terrace shaded by a high thatched roof and filled with comfortable sofas and beatiful furniture made from reclaimed dhow wood. A continental breakfast is served each morning. For lunch and dinner the chef delivers inventive dishes using fresh market produce, pulling on Asian, Oriental and African influences. Meal choices include: international cuisine and regional dishes. On offer is a la carte menu that features a choice of seafood, poultry, beef and lamb. Weather permitting, lunch can be served outdoors in various spots that include the sand river bed or under a giant baobab tree. As for dinner, the dining area has an enormous outdoor space where dinner can be served every other night. This experience beneath Africa’s star filled sky is quite simply one you will not forget.
• Pool dining - The pool deck is a perfect spot to enjoy sundowners. The swimming pool overlooks the vast plains where wildlife gather.
• Outdoor dining - For those who relish the great outdoors, meals can be served on the sand river bed so guests can enjoy a dining experience with a view over the rock-studded riverbed and grassy plains.
Every evening a fire is lit where guests can relax and enjoy the sunset whilst enjoying a drink. Drinks include local beers and wines. Guests can have dinner outside under the stars.
• Bush dining: - It is a dining experience under the stars in the wild. You can also enjoy a special meal on a carefully selected spot in the bush.
• In the evening you can have a bottle of refreshing beer or glass of wine or some whisky in the comfortable bar lounge. The bar offers a cool atmospehere to relax after a busy day. With sweeping views of the riverbed, the bar lounge is the perfect place to come to after a busy day. Come for drinks or simply for a relaxed evening out with family, friend or partner.
• Outdoor swimming pool - The lodge has a sky-blue swimming pool perched in a secluded spot and will offer you hours of swimming exercise and pleasure of sun bathing. It is an outdoor pool that offers an open air relaxed environment. Take time to enjoy the sunshine. The pool area offers expansive views of the surrounding plains.
• Game drives in Ruaha national park - The park covers an area of about 13,000 square kilometres. It is part of a more extensive ecosystem, which includes Rungwa Game Reserve, Usangu Game Reserve, Kizigo Game Reserve and the Mbomipa Wildlife Management Area. The name of the park is derived from the Great Ruaha River, which flows along its South-Eastern margin and is the focus for game-viewing safaris. Each morning and afternoon, game drives are arranged to explore Ruaha National Park. With 70kms to the nearest camp, Jongomero is definately secluded from the well worn safari trails. With only 4 seats in the 4WD open sided vehicles, privacy is easily ensured while you experience an intimate closeness to nature. For those who prefer to be alone on a game drive, there is an opportunity to hire a private vehicle with a driver guide in advance for a daily additional cost. Ruaha National Park is known for its high density of elephants and large baobab trees. The park also holds a special significance as it covers a unique transition zone where the Eastern and Southern biomes intersect thereby offering an extraordinary diversity of animals, plants and birds. There are over 570 species of birds in this area thereby making Ruaha an ideal birding safari destination. You will experience the blood-pumping thrills of tracking animals like elephants, buffalos, hippos, crocodiles, lions, leopards, sable antelopes, roan antelopes, dikdiks, greater and lesser kudus, grant's gazelle, honey badgers and wild dogs. The park is characterized by semi-arid type of vegetation, baobab trees, acacia and other species. There are over 1,650 plant species that have been identified.
• Game walks - The game walk is recommended for those aged over 16 years. Game walks are the most fascinating way to truly experience the wonders of Ruaha. Out of the vehicle and being on foot is a humbling experience in the vast, untouched land. The walk is usually set to a leisurely pace and is not intended to find big game but instead offers guests an education tour into the lives of the smaller animals as well as the birdlife, insects, flora and fauna. The walking season usually begins from June/July when the bush is less thick and run until the beginning of the rains in early December.
• Fly-camping adeventure - Walk during the day and discover the hidden depths of Ruaha then sleep for 1-2 nights under a canopy of stars away from the main campsite. You will be accompanied by a tour guide who will light up a camp fire in the evening, deep in the bush and after sharing stories about the area, you will retire to sleep surrounded by a real bush. At dawn you will be woken up by birds singing right above your head.
• Bird walks day out - You will take a bird-walk along the riverline accompanied by a local guide expert in the history of the area. For bird enthusiasts, there are over 570 bird species spotted in this area which include: ostrich, kori bustard, ashy starlings, rufous-tailed weavers, yellow-coloured lovebirds, hornbill, crested cranes, marabou storks, yellow-billed stork, oxpeckers and vultures among many more. You will have a checklist of birds that you can use to identify which birds you spot. You will carry a lunch box with you for this day out.
• Hot-air balloon safaris There is nothing quite like gliding serenely over the vast plains of Ruaha as the wildlife teems below, on a romantic and evocative balloon safari. This will be at an additional cost
• Private sundowners - Enjoy an appetizer and cocktail on the sand river beds and on top of the rocky outcrops. Experience the great Ruaha river and its rugged landscape of undulating hills, rocky outcrops, and a horizon studded with the imposing silhouettes of the iconic baobab trees.
Levies: Rates do not include Tanzania Development Levy which currently stands at US$ 1.5 per person per day including children.
Cancellation / Prepayment: Cancellation and prepayment policies vary according to room type. Please indicate the dates of your stay and check with us the terms and conditions that apply to your requested room.
Payments: Bookings and reservations must be confirmed 90 days prior to your arrival date at the Lodge. Bookings not secured by the appropriate payment will be released.
Children and extra beds
Free! Child under 2 years.
Children above 2-16 years: 90% adult rate.
All further older children are charged 95% adult rate per night for extra beds. The maximum number of extra beds/children's cots permitted in a room is one.
Any type of extra bed or child's cot/crib is upon request and needs to be confirmed and authorised.
Supplements are not calculated automatically in the total costs and will have to be paid separately during your stay.
Check-in/check-out: Check-in - 14:00 hrs. Check-out - 11:00 hrs.
Groups: When booking more than 6 rooms at once, different policies on accommodation and transport discounts may apply.
Accepted credit cards: American Express , Visa , Euro/Mastercard , Diners Club
We reserve the right to pre-authorise credit cards prior to your arrival.
• Guarded Complex.
• Pets are not allowed.
• Daily Cleaning Service.
• Airport Shuttle (additional charge).
• Packed lunches.
• Ironing Service (additional charge).
• Laundry (additional charge).
• Room Services.
• Located on 'Southern safari circuit'.
The camp is accessible through Msembe airstrip at Msembe park headquarters and Jongomero Airstrip near the Jongomero Ranger Post. Airport transfers are available at an additional charge. Please let us know that we need to pick you up at the airport upon your arrival. Do not assume. Some clients do make their own private transport arrangements.