"Please note field marked * is required"
Kigelia Camp is located in Ruaha National Park in Tanzania on the Ifuguru sand river, close to the confluence of the Mwagusi river and the great Ruaha river. Facilities include a dining tent, lounge area and camp fire pit. The camp is 45 minutes flight from the Msembe airstrip. It is accessible by road from Iringa. Game drives use 4WD open sided vehicles. You will experience the blood-pumping thrills of tracking animals like elephant, buffalo, hippo, crocodile, lion, leopard, sable antelope, roan antelope, dikdik, greater kudu, lesser kudu, grants gazelle, honey badgers and wild dogs. Ruaha is one of Africas top birding destinations.
• Accommodation comprises 6 large double tents and can be booked individually or exclusively by parties of 8 people or more. Each tent has comfortable, locally crafted beds and its own ensuite bathroom with flushing toilet and open air bucket shower for that true camping experience.
6 large double tents - They are ideal for a group of friends or family looking for exclusivity in a remote camp. These luxury tents enable guests to enjoy a refined, authentic camping experience within a totally wild environment. These tents blend in beautifully with their surroundings. They have a private verandah that overlooks the riverline.
✓ steaming hot open air shower ✓ luxury tents ✓ locally crafted beds ✓ ensuite bathroom ✓ flushing toilet ✓ open air bucket shower ✓ shower ✓ face Ifuguru river bed ✓ offer total privacy ✓ very large tents ✓ spacious middle area ✓ private verandah ✓ laundry ✓ mosquito nets ✓ children’s menu ✓ WiFi in public areas ✓ seating areas ✓ king size beds ✓ tastefully furnished ✓ private parking.
Dining tent - The communal dining area is simply a canvas on a wooden structure with a few sofas and coffee tables. There is a drinks cabinet and shelves. For meal times, a large teak table and dining chairs are usually brought in. Meals are prepared to the highest standard using wholesome fresh produce, offering plenty of choice and good vegetarian options where required. For those who like their meals with wine, good selections of international wines are served with meals. Meal choices include: international cuisine and regional dishes. On offer is a la carte menu that features a choice of seafood, poultry, beef and lamb. Weather permitting, lunch can be served outdoors in various spots that include the sand river bed or under a giant baobab tree. As for dinner, the dining tent has an enormous outdoor space where dinner can be served. This experience beneath Africa’s star filled sky is quite simply one you will not forget.
• Outdoor dining - For those who relish the great outdoors, meals can be served on the sand river bed so guests can enjoy a dining experience with a view over the rock-studded riverbed and grassy plains.
Every evening a fire is lit where guests can relax and enjoy the sunset whilst enjoying a drink. Drinks include local beers and wines. Guests can have dinner outside under the stars.
• Bush dining: - It is a dining experience under the stars in the wild. You can also enjoy a special meal on a carefully selected spot in the bush.
• In the evening you can have a bottle of refreshing beer or glass of wine or some whisky in the comfortable bar lounge. The bar offers a cool atmospehere to relax after a busy day. With sweeping views of the riverbed, the bar lounge is the perfect place to come to after a busy day. Come for drinks or simply for a relaxed evening out with family, friend or partner.
• Game drives in Ruaha national park - The park covers an area of about 13,000 square kilometres. It is part of a more extensive ecosystem, which includes Rungwa Game Reserve, Usangu Game Reserve, Kizigo Game Reserve and the Mbomipa Wildlife Management Area. The name of the park is derived from the Great Ruaha River, which flows along its South-Eastern margin and is the focus for game-viewing safaris. Each morning and afternoon, game drives are arranged to explore Ruaha National Park. Ruaha National Park is known for its high density of elephants and large baobab trees. The park also holds a special significance as it covers a unique transition zone where the Eastern and Southern biomes intersect thereby offering an extraordinary diversity of animals, plants and birds. There are over 570 species of birds in this area thereby making Ruaha an ideal birding safari destination. You will experience the blood-pumping thrills of tracking animals like elephants, buffalos, hippos, crocodiles, lions, leopards, sable antelopes, roan antelopes, dikdiks, greater and lesser kudus, grant's gazelle, honey badgers and wild dogs. The park is characterized by semi-arid type of vegetation, baobab trees, acacia and other species. There are over 1,650 plant species that have been identified.
• Game walks - The game walk is recommended for those aged over 16 years. Game walks are the most fascinating way to truly experience the wonders of Ruaha. Out of the vehicle and being on foot is a humbling experience in the vast, untouched land. The walk is usually set to a leisurely pace and is not intended to find big game but instead offers guests an education tour into the lives of the smaller animals as well as the birdlife, insects, flora and fauna. The walking season usually begins from June/July when the bush is less thick and run until the beginning of the rains in early December.
• Fly-camping adeventure - Walk during the day and discover the hidden depths of Ruaha then sleep for 1-2 nights under a canopy of stars away from the main campsite. You will be accompanied by a tour guide who will light up a camp fire in the evening, deep in the bush and after sharing stories about the area, you will retire to sleep surrounded by a real bush. At dawn you will be woken up by birds singing right above your head.
• Bird walks day out - You will take a bird-walk along the riverline accompanied by a local guide expert in the history of the area. For bird enthusiasts, there are over 570 bird species spotted in this area which include: ostrich, kori bustard, ashy starlings, rufous-tailed weavers, yellow-coloured lovebirds, hornbill, crested cranes, marabou storks, yellow-billed stork, oxpeckers and vultures among many more. You will have a checklist of birds that you can use to identify which birds you spot. You will carry a lunch box with you for this day out.
• Hot-air balloon safaris There is nothing quite like gliding serenely over the vast plains of Ruaha as the wildlife teems below, on a romantic and evocative balloon safari. This will be at an additional cost
• Private sundowners - Enjoy an appetizer and cocktail on the sand river beds and on top of the rocky outcrops. Experience the great Ruaha river and its rugged landscape of undulating hills, rocky outcrops, and a horizon studded with the imposing silhouettes of the iconic baobab trees.
Levies: Rates do not include Tanzania Development Levy which currently stands at US$ 1.5 per person per day including children.
Cancellation / Prepayment: Cancellation and prepayment policies vary according to room type. Please indicate the dates of your stay and check with us the terms and conditions that apply to your requested room.
Payments: Bookings and reservations must be confirmed 90 days prior to your arrival date at the Lodge. Bookings not secured by the appropriate payment will be released.
Children and extra beds
NOT allowed! Child under 2 years.
Children above 2-16 years: 90% adult rate.
All further older children are charged 95% adult rate per night for extra beds. The maximum number of extra beds/children's cots permitted in a room is one.
Any type of extra bed or child's cot/crib is upon request and needs to be confirmed and authorised.
Supplements are not calculated automatically in the total costs and will have to be paid separately during your stay.
Check-in/check-out: Check-in - 14:00 hrs. Check-out - 11:00 hrs.
Groups: When booking more than 6 rooms at once, different policies on accommodation and transport discounts may apply.
Accepted credit cards: American Express , Visa , Euro/Mastercard , Diners Club
We reserve the right to pre-authorise credit cards prior to your arrival.
• Guarded Complex.
• Pets are not allowed.
• Daily Cleaning Service.
• Airport Shuttle (additional charge).
• Packed lunches.
• Ironing Service (additional charge).
• Laundry (additional charge).
• Room Services.
• Located on 'Southern safari circuit'.
The camp is accessible through Msembe airstrip at Msembe park headquarters and Jongomero Airstrip near the Jongomero Ranger Post. Airport transfers are available at an additional charge. Please let us know that we need to pick you up at the airport upon your arrival. Do not assume. Some clients do make their own private transport arrangements.