"Please note field marked * is required"
Kimbilio Lodge is a small beachfront guesthouse located in the historic port town of Kilwa Masoko, in southern Tanzania Indian Ocean coastline. This area is off-the-beaten-tourism-tracks and those few travellers who reach here are often attracted by Kilwa’s history and scuba diving activities. The lodge lies on the white sands of Jimbazi Beach. It is a good base to dive in the surrounding waters of the Indian Ocean or to take day trips to the nearby ruins of Kilwa Kisiwani and Songo Mnara. Facilities include a dining room, bar, small seating area and bookshelfs. Diving is a popular activity in Kilwa. Kilwa airstrip is a 20-minutes flight from Mafia Island and 50-minutes flight from Dar es Salaam. The lodge is then a 10-minute drive by car or tuk-tuk from Kilwa airstrip.
• Accommodation comprises 6 spacious circular cottages that face towards the beach and are functional rather than luxurious. 3 have large wooden-frame double beds covered in mosquito nets and raised about a metre off the ground. You will fall asleep to the sound of the waves from the ocean.
Bungalow with Sea View - These are sea facing deluxe guest rooms that feature 1 large double bed or 2 twin beds. They have netted windows that are covered with colourful kanga fabric and have stone floors and seating areas. They are children friendly and therefore are ideal for families.
Bungalow with Garden View - These are double and family rooms with large wooden-frame double beds covered in mosquito nets. A small writing desk, a luggage rack and bedside tables make the rooms feel even more comfortable and provide space to put away your belongings. There is also a lockable trunk where you can store valuables. The large bathroom at the back of the cottage has a toilet and hot shower.
Facilities & services include:
✓ cottage accommodation ✓ netted windows ✓ stone floors ✓ large wooden-frame double beds ✓ mosquito nets ✓ ensuite bathrooms ✓ hot showers ✓ tastefully decorated ✓ small writing desk ✓ luggage rack ✓ family rooms ✓ sitting area ✓ private ✓ WiFi ✓ twin or double beds ✓ bedside tables ✓ private parking.
Note : Accommodation in this hotel can be BOOKED separately or with a Safari. (see safaris)
• Dining room - The lodge consist of a covered dining area and small bar, behind which a flat screen TV generally plays BBC World News throughout the day and evening. In front of the dining area is a large swathe of decking overlooking the sea with a few deckchairs set up out here. Guests can relax here and watch the world go by as the locals go about their daily business up and down the beach. Breakfast is usually taken outside on the decking overlooking the sea where you will begin with a fruit salad, followed by toast and eggs cooked to your liking. Fresh mango juice and instant coffee will accompany your breakfast. Lunch and dinner are both set menus. The main specialty is seafoods which you will find to be very good indeed. Surprisingly you can enjoy some amazing fish samosas served with a simple salad for lunch, followed by fruit. For dinner you can start with fried calamari, followed by grilled lobster with potatoes and curry sauce. Dinners are delicious and guests can have a whole lobster each as an appetizer. Dining style is on individual tables both indoors and outdoors.
• Beach breakfast - They are arranged at carefully selected private spots on the white sandy beach. The site will present tables, safari chairs, cocktails and hot meals where a range of meats, poultry, fish and vegetables are brought on-site. Supplements include soups, salads and puddings from the kitchen.
• Beach sun-downer cocktails – These takes place in the evenings and are traditionally served around a campfire followed by a lamp-lit dinner. It is the concept of having drinks whilst watching the sun go down that dates back to the times of the great safaris of the 1920's.
• Romantic outdoor dining - A dining table is set up on a unique spot outside your accommodation unit or the beach area for a romantic meal under the stars. Meals are delicious with an emphasis on simple fresh organic salads, platters, burgers, pizzas and sandwiches.
• Bar - This is a small bar with a flatscreen TV that generally plays BBC World News throughout the day and evening. The bar is well stocked and serves a selection of wines, spirits and beers. The cocktails are refreshing. Relax at the bar lounge with a soft drink, beer or perhaps a nice glass of wine. The bar lounge is the perfect place to come to after a day-out. Come for drinks or simply for a relaxed evening out with your family, partner or friend.
• Ocean activities - Jimbazi beach in a small cove on the eastern side of the town is a white sandy beach that is said to provide a good snorkelling site. Deep sea diving provide brilliant sightings of colourful fish and turtles while the deeper Indian Ocean gives you the chance to see humpback dolphins.
Other activities include: kite surfing, fishing, traditional boat sailing and swimming in open waters.
• Mafia tour - Mafia Island is among the Zanzibar Archipelago which is an amazing place for those interested in deep-sea fishing for marlin and tuna fish. There are beautiful coral gardens in the island and variety of fish are owned by the Marine Island Park. This island is a breeding ground for green turtles. However they are about to be extinct. There are over 400 fish species and very many bird species. It is a wonderful and unforgettable place based on the time spend on mafia island. Scuba diving activities are best done from October to March each year when the weather is best on the Island. Mafia is only 20 minutes flight from Kilwa beach.
• Visit historic sites - Kilwa is a beautiful and historically rich destination. It was commonly known as the "East Africas Greatest Empire". Day trips can include visits to the sleepy old town and the ruins of Kilwa Kisiwani which is 3 km from the lodge and Songo Mnara. Other activities include colorful historic adventures to various points of interest which your tour guide will be happy to show you.
• Fisher village cultural tours - Take a day trip to this village that is really remote and unspoilt by civilization. You will discover that you have never been to such a place before.
• Visit Tanzania’s game reserves - The lodge serves as a convenient base from which to discover Tanzania’s Selous and Ruaha game reserves. The game parks southern circuit safari have a large number of buffalo, hippo, crocodile, wild dog, lion, leopard, impala, antelope and lots more. You can also choose to join the Tanzanian northern circuit safari from here.
• Climb Mt. Kilimanjaro - Climb the mighty snow-capped Mount Kilimanjaro in Tanzania standing at 19,341 feet. Mt. Kilimanjaro is undoubtedly the mountain climbers paradise in Africa.
Levies: Rates do not include Tanzania Development Levy which currently stands at US$ 1.5 per person per day including children.
Cancellation / Prepayment: Cancellation and prepayment policies vary according to room type. Please indicate the dates of your stay and check with us the terms and conditions that apply to your requested room.
Payments: Bookings and reservations must be confirmed 90 days prior to your arrival date at the Lodge. Bookings not secured by the appropriate payment will be released.
Children and extra beds
Free! Child under 2 years.
Children above 2-7 years: 75% adult rate.
Children above 8-16 years: 90% adult rate.
All further older children are charged 95% adult rate per night for extra beds. The maximum number of extra beds/children's cots permitted in a room is one.
Any type of extra bed or child's cot/crib is upon request and needs to be confirmed and authorised.
Supplements are not calculated automatically in the total costs and will have to be paid separately during your stay.
Check-in/check-out: Check-in - 14:00 hrs. Check-out - 11:00 hrs.
Groups: When booking more than 5 rooms at once, different policies on accommodation and transport discounts may apply.
Accepted credit cards: American Express , Visa , Euro/Mastercard , Diners Club
We reserve the right to pre-authorise credit cards prior to your arrival.
• Guarded Complex.
• Pets are not allowed.
• Daily Cleaning Service.
• Airport Shuttle (additional charge).
• Packed lunches.
• Ironing Service (additional charge).
• Laundry (additional charge).
• Located on 'Eastern safari circuit'.
The lodge is accessible through Kilwa airport. Airport transfers are available at an additional charge. Please let us know that we need to pick you up at the airport upon your arrival. Do not assume. Some clients do make their own private transport arrangements.