"Please note field marked * is required"
Kwihala camp is located deep in the bush on a hillside close to Mwagusi Sand River in Mwagusi Valley. It has magnificent view of Ruaha National Park in Tanzania. The location is one of the best in Ruaha which remains undisturbed. The camp is a good choice for romantic or family Safaris respectively. It offers an intimate safari experience with just 6 en-suite tents. Ruaha is Africa's less-travelled wilderness that offers a true African wilderness experience. Wildlife you are likely to spot include: lion, leopard, cheetah, lesser kudu, greater kudu, elephant, impala, giraffe, rare sable antelope and rare roan antelope. Ruaha is one of Africas top birding destinations.
• Accommodation comprises art deco-style tents, each furnished in simple but elegant safari style with comfortable en-suite bathroom, flushing toilet and safari bucket shower. Large gauze-screened windows allow the beauty of the surroundings to take centre stage, and shaded private verandas provide the perfect spot to watch the game as it passes through camp.
Luxury tents - They are ideal for a group of friends or family looking for exclusivity in a remote camp. These luxury tents enable guests to enjoy a refined, authentic camping experience within a totally wild environment. These tents blend in beautifully with their surroundings. They have a private verandah where you can see wild animals passing by.
✓ 6 tents ✓ en-suite bathrooms ✓ safari bucket showers ✓ flushing toilets ✓ tents suitable for disabled guests ✓ in-room lockable box ✓ complimentary laundry service ✓ solar & generator power ✓ in-room battery-charging facilities ✓ large gauze-screened windows ✓ private verandas ✓ hot water on request ✓ offer total privacy ✓ mosquito nets ✓ children’s menu ✓ WiFi in public areas ✓ seating areas ✓ king size beds ✓ tastefully furnished ✓ private parking.
Closed : 16 March – 31 May.
High season : 1 – 5 January, 1 July – 31 October and 20 – 31 December.
Low season : 6 January – 15 March, 1 – 30 June and 1 November – 19 December.
Dining tent -
All meals served in Kwihala are homemade. Resident chefs pride themselves on ensuring that everything is prepared using local ingradients from fresh breads, cakes, biscuits to fresh fruit salads, sorbets and homemade ice creams. Guests can choose a ‘bush bonnet’ picnic breakfast to enjoy during the morning game drive, or go for a cooked brunch back in the camp. The light buffet-style lunches served in the mess tent are popular in the heat of the day, and include plenty of salads with the main course. Delicious gourmet-style dinners are a three-course affair served outdoors under the stars. For special dietary requirements please inform the camp chefs in advance and they will will be happy to cater for your needs as far as possible.
• Outdoor dining - For those who relish the great outdoors, meals can be served on carefully selected spots on the hilltop so guests can enjoy a dining experience with a difference and with great views of the park and the grassy plains.
Every evening a fire is lit where guests can relax and enjoy the sunset whilst enjoying a drink. Drinks include local beers and wines. Guests can have dinner outside under the stars.
• Bush dining: - It is a dining experience under the stars in the wild. You can also enjoy a special meal on a carefully selected spot in the bush.
• In the evening you can have a bottle of refreshing beer or glass of wine or some whisky in the comfortable bar lounge. The bar offers a cool atmospehere to relax after a busy day. With sweeping views of the surrounding forest, the bar lounge is the perfect place to come to after a busy day. Come for drinks or simply for a relaxed evening out with family, friend or partner.
• Game drives in Ruaha national park - The park covers an area of about 13,000 square kilometres. It is part of a more extensive ecosystem, which includes Rungwa Game Reserve, Usangu Game Reserve, Kizigo Game Reserve and the Mbomipa Wildlife Management Area. The name of the park is derived from the Great Ruaha River, which flows along its South-Eastern margin and is the focus for game-viewing safaris. Ruaha National Park is known for its high density of elephants and large baobab trees. The park also holds a special significance as it covers a unique transition zone where the Eastern and Southern biomes intersect thereby offering an extraordinary diversity of animals, plants and birds. There are over 570 species of birds in this area thereby making Ruaha an ideal birding safari destination. Each morning and afternoon, game drives are arranged to explore Ruaha National Park. The 6-seater game-viewing vehicles are open-sided with a canvas roof and the canvas sides can be rolled down in case of rain. Ponchos are provided. All vehicles have power points where guests can recharge devices and all are fitted with fridges to keep drinks deliciously frosty. A private game-viewing vehicle can be booked by prior arrangement. In the morning, guests can maximise their game-viewing safari by taking a delicious picnic breakfast to enjoy under the shade of a tree. In the evening, guests can sip a cold gin & tonic in the heart of the bush as the sun sinks below the horizon.
• Night drives - When the sun sets, the elusive night animals come out to life. Explore the secrets of these shy creatures on a night game drive through Ruaha National Park.
• Walking safaris - A walking safari is one the most intimate ways to experience the bush. You will be accompanied by an experienced armed guide and local animal tracker. With an eye-to-eye encounter with the wildlife, your senses will be heightened and the sights, sounds and smells of the bush will come alive.
• Bird walks day out - You will take a bird-walk along the riverline forests accompanied by a local guide expert in the history of the area. For bird enthusiasts, there are over 570 bird species spotted in this area which include: ostrich, kori bustard, ashy starlings, rufous-tailed weavers, yellow-coloured lovebirds, hornbill, crested cranes, marabou storks, yellow-billed stork, oxpeckers and vultures among many more. You will have a checklist of birds that you can use to identify which birds you spot. You will carry a lunch box with you for this day out.
• Hot-air balloon safaris There is nothing quite like gliding serenely over the vast plains of Ruaha as the wildlife teems below, on a romantic and evocative balloon safari. This will be at an additional cost
• Private sundowners - Enjoy an appetizer and cocktail on the Mwagusi sand river bed or on top of the rocky outcrops. The terrain comprises rugged landscape of undulating hills, rocky outcrops, and a horizon studded with the imposing silhouettes of the iconic baobab trees.
Levies: Rates do not include Tanzania Development Levy which currently stands at US$ 1.5 per person per day including children.
Cancellation / Prepayment: Cancellation and prepayment policies vary according to room type. Please indicate the dates of your stay and check with us the terms and conditions that apply to your requested room.
Payments: Bookings and reservations must be confirmed 90 days prior to your arrival date at the Lodge. Bookings not secured by the appropriate payment will be released.
Children and extra beds
NOT allowed! Child under 5 years.
Children above 6-16 years: 90% adult rate.
All further older children are charged 95% adult rate per night for extra beds. The maximum number of extra beds/children's cots permitted in a room is one.
Any type of extra bed or child's cot/crib is upon request and needs to be confirmed and authorised.
Supplements are not calculated automatically in the total costs and will have to be paid separately during your stay.
Check-in/check-out: Check-in - 14:00 hrs. Check-out - 11:00 hrs.
Groups: When booking more than 6 rooms at once, different policies on accommodation and transport discounts may apply.
Accepted credit cards: American Express , Visa , Euro/Mastercard , Diners Club
We reserve the right to pre-authorise credit cards prior to your arrival.
• Guarded Complex.
• Pets are not allowed.
• Daily Cleaning Service.
• Airport Shuttle (additional charge).
• Packed lunches.
• Ironing Service (additional charge).
• Laundry (additional charge).
• Room Services.
• Located on 'Southern safari circuit'.
The camp is accessible through Msembe airstrip at Msembe park headquarters and Jongomero Airstrip near the Jongomero Ranger Post. Airport transfers are available at an additional charge. Please let us know that we need to pick you up at the airport upon your arrival. Do not assume. Some clients do make their own private transport arrangements.