"Please note field marked * is required"
Matemwe Lodge is located on Matemwe Beach, Zanzibar, Tanzania. It is a 5 star beach hotel. It lies opposite of the Mnemba Island Marine Conservation area which is home to nesting green turtles and more than 600 species of coral reef fish. The sea here is tidal and can receed up to 1 kilometre at low-tide. The hotel offers luxurious flowering tropical gardens and a vibrant African décor. It is an ideal holiday location for families and honeymooners. It offers 12 tastefully furnished guest villas and 2 pools perched on a coral rag cliff.
Accommodation includes: 12 chalets (6 triples and 2 with plunge pools).
• 12 independent spacious suites - They are located along the coral ridge. They have deep verandahs strung with double hammocks. Thick strands of palms and pines shield them from each other and create a private cocoon for the guest. Inside they have high beamed ceilings and louvred blinds that circulate cooling air around the sitting area and bedroom thus having natural air-conditioning. Décor is bright consisting of woven rugs, brass-studded Zanzibari chests, handmade furniture and platform beds dressed in bright sarongs. Bathrooms are vast with double sinks, walk-in showers and separate bath tubs. Some rooms have a mezzanine level for extra beds and two have a private plunge pool.
Features: ✓ Flat-screen TVs ✓ Satellite television ✓ Wireless Internet access ✓ Air-conditioning ✓ Personal safe ✓ Telephone ✓ Mini-bar ✓ Tea & coffee making facilities ✓ Hairdryer ✓ Walk-in bathrooms ✓ Toiletries.
Note 2: Accommodation in this hotel can be BOOKED separately or with a Safari. (see safaris)
• Main Restaurant - Breakfast is a smorgasbord of tropical fruit, cereals, mini croissants, yoghurt and eggs. Lunch is buffet-style with a range of salads and light seafood dishes while dinner is a three-course menu featuring grilled meats, hearty stews or line-caught fish. All the food is sourced locally.
• Main Bar - It is presented in traditional Swahili luxurious style. It is an ideal place to relax while you enjoy nature. The bar offers the perfect opportunity to make new friends, watch the seas and the magical moonrise, whilst listening to the cool breeze whispering through the coconut palms.
• Swimming pools - On offer are 2 swimming pools. 2 private plunge pools are also available in 2 chalets.
Enjoy the comfortable pool beds and daily fresh towels. The sun-deck will offer you scenic views of the Indian Ocean while giving you hours of sunbathing pleasure.
• Gym - The hotel gym is accessible to all guests including running, synchro, step, rowing and cycling machines as well as free weights.
There is FREE ample parking for hotel guests.
Other activities include:
- Water sports.
• Spa: It offers services which include massages, facials, manicures and pedicures. The spa facilities include a steam bath and a sauna. The spa is designed to meet your most discerning expectations while in Zanzibar.
• Matemwe Beach - It is one of the most peaceful places on this side of the Indian Ocean on a shallow coral-rich lagoon. It is the perfect place for a tropical beach holiday.
• World-famous Mnemba Atoll - It is said to provide some of the best diving and snorkelling sites on the continent. Coral reefs provide brilliant sightings of colourful reef fish, turtles and many species of dolphin, while the deeper Indian Ocean gives you the chance to see humpback whales on their annual migration route between July and November. Diving courses are available through Scubafish.
• Visit a spice plantation - Zanzibar is commonly known as the Spice Island. The air is a good mix of cinnamon, cloves, vanilla and pepper. Visit a spice plantation and learn about the tropical plants and spices that are grown on the Island that make it the spice island.
• Zanzibar tour - The island of Zanzibar, known locally as Ugunja is a beautiful and historically rich destination. It offers many attractions including colorful island adventures.
• Sea activities - The Indian Ocean offers scenic kayak trips on the reef, kitesurfing, deep-sea fishing and sundowner dhow trips that are all exciting options for adrenaline experiences. As with many sea-based activities, timing is governed by the tides and water levels.
• Land-based activities - On offer is a guided reef walk, excursion to a remote sandbank, Jozani Forest tour and Matemwe village walk to provide the perfect opportunity to explore the Zanzibari world around you.
• Visit Tanzania’s game reserves - The hotel serves as a convenient base from which to discover Tanzania’s game reserves. The game parks northern circuit have a large number of buffalo, hippo, crocodile, wild dog, lion, leopard, impala, antelope and lots more. You can also choose to join the Tanzanian southern circuit from here.
• Climb Mt. Kilimanjaro - Climb the mighty snow-capped Mount Kilimanjaro in Tanzania standing at 19,341 feet. Mt. Kilimanjaro is undoubtedly the mountain climbers paradise in Africa.
Cancellation / Prepayment:
Cancellation and prepayment policies vary according to room type. Please indicate the dates of your stay and check with us the terms and conditions that apply to your requested room.
Children and extra beds
Free! Child under 5 years sharing a room with 1-2 adults.
Children above 6-12 years: 90% adult rate.
Children above 12 years: Full adult rate.
The maximum number of extra beds/children's cots permitted in a room is one.
Any type of extra bed or child's cot/crib is upon request and needs to be confirmed and authorised.
Supplements are not calculated automatically in the total costs and will have to be paid separately during your stay.
Check-in/check-out: Check-in - 14:00 hrs. Check-out - 12:00 noon.
Day rooms are available from 10:00 – 18:00 hrs at 75% of room rate.
Groups: When booking more than 9 rooms at once, different policies on accommodation and transport discounts may apply.
Accepted credit cards: American Express , Visa , Euro/Mastercard , Diners Club
We reserve the right to pre-authorise credit cards prior to your arrival.
• 24hr Electricity.
• Guarded Complex.
• Pets are not allowed.
• Plugs are 240 V.
Airport transfers from Zanzibar International airport are available. Please let us know that we need to pick you up at the airport upon your arrival. Do not assume. Some clients do make their own private transport arrangements.