"Please note field marked * is required"
Mikumi National Park in Tanzania covers an area of 3,230 sq km² and is the fourth largest. It was established in 1964. The A-7 Iringa highway crosses through the park dividing it into 2. Mikumi is usually part of a southern circuit safari to Selous and Ruaha. The park belongs to one ecosystem with Selous and enables wild animals like elephants, buffalos and Zebras to migrate to and from the northern part of the reserve into the park. Main landmarks in Mikumi include Mkata river and Mkata flood plains that remain swampy all year round providing favorite mud grounds for buffaloes and a number of birds species, such as ground hornbills. To the east of the park lies the Uluguru ranges and to the southwest are the craggy peaks of the Vidunda hill. Another natural area bordering the national park is the Udzungwa mountain. The park has over 20 species of mammals, about 1200 species of plants and 30 species of butterflies. Each morning and afternoon, game drives are arranged to explore Mikumi National Park. The game-viewing vehicles are open-sided with a canvas roof and the canvas sides can be rolled down in case of rain. Vehicles are fitted with coolers to keep drinks deliciously cold. A private game-viewing vehicle can be booked by prior arrangement. In the morning, guests can maximise their game-viewing safari by taking a delicious picnic breakfast to enjoy under the shade of a tree. In the evening, guests can sip a cold gin & tonic at Vuma Hill view point or Hippo pool where visitors can watch the sunset. A safari to this park is usually taken as part of a 'southern circuit' Tanzanian safari. The park has a lot to offer to the visitor.
• Mountain hike - There are many locations available such as Malundwe mountain, Vuma hill, Uluguru ranges, Vidunda hill and Udzungwa mountains. The summit of Malundwe mountains is part of a forest type that is known for its unique flora and fauna. It offers spectacular view of different flowers depending on seasons, ranging from fragile purple to deep purple. The park is dotted with other hills, rock formations and valleys that provide the perfect opportunity to hike to various points of interest. Your tour guide will show you all the places of interest.
• Mkata flood plains - Here you will find 4 of the big five that include: elephants, buffalos, lions and leopards. Other common animals you will easily spot are herds of wildebeest, zebras, impalas, giraffes, Hippos, african hunting dogs, troops of baboons, hornbills, yellow baboons around Kisungura area and the world's largest antelopes such as eland, greater kudu, sable antelopes and defassa waterbucks. The park is a habitat for the endangered wild dogs. Reptiles and amphibians such as crocodiles, snakes, lizards and frogs can be found here. There are 2 artificial pools inhabited by hippos and crocodiles situated about 5 kilometers north of the main entrance gate. The pool has an ever-changing cast of water birds.
• Night game drives - When the sun sets, the elusive night animals come out to life. Explore the secrets of these shy creatures on a night game drive through Mikumi National Park.
• Walking safaris - A walking safari is one the most intimate ways to experience the bush. You will be accompanied by an experienced armed guide and local animal tracker. With an eye-to-eye encounter with the wildlife, your senses will be heightened and the sights, sounds and smells of the bush will come alive.
• Bird walks - You will take a bird-walk along the riverline forests accompanied by a local guide expert in the history of the area. More than 400 different species of birds inhabit the park. You will have a checklist of birds that you can use to identify which birds you spot.
• Hot-air balloon safaris - There is nothing quite like gliding serenely over the vast plains of Mikumi as the wildlife teems below, on a romantic and evocative balloon safari. This will be at an additional cost.
(Note – Hot air balloon is an excursion booked separately. It is advisable that you book it early to avoid disappointment.)
Visitors to the game park can find different types of accommodation according to their budget ranging from lodges, luxury tented camps, open-air camping sites and fly camping options. Accommodation include among others:
• Mikumi Safari Lodge - It is owned by a Tanzanian family about 6.5 kilometers off the Tanzam Highway.
• Mikumi Wildife Camp. - It is a cozy and intimate place offering 12 spacious rooms in 6 big bandas.
• Open-air campsites.
• Fly camping sites
• Picnic sites.
Tourist accommodation varies from luxury to the most basic rooms for the budget traveller. It is a tourist destination that is full-filling for those who love excitingly exclusive game drives. You will get personal attention on a southern circuit safari compared to the northern circuit. Accommodation feature all the neccessary amenities a visitor would require. It is very suitable for all travellers. The park includes Mikumi airport near the park entrance.
✓ Angalia tented camp ✓ Asante Africa camp ✓ Camp Bastian ✓ Vuma Hills Tented camp.
Park entry: The park is open daily from 7:00 am to 6:00 pm.
Entry on foot is prohibited and visitors are turned away after 5:30 pm.
Entry to the park is by smart card, obtained and loaded at the main gates.
Mikumi National Park lies near Morogoro on the Tanzam Highway. It lies north of Selous and east of Ruaha. The park is rich in wildlife that cross to and from Selous. The park is home to the endangered Africa wild dogs. They are able to hunt both in Selous and Mikumi. A large variety of other mammals include: white bearded gnu, sable antelope, eland, greater kudu, waterbuck, hartebeest, zebra, giraffe, reedbuck, warthog, spotted hyena, lion, leopard, hippo and buffalo. The park is home to rare sable antelope. The best season for visiting the park is during the dry seasons between May and November.
• Horse shoe of towering mountains - The park lies in a horseshoe of towering mountains and enclosed by foot hills that almost enclose the flood plain of the Mkata River. This land terrain offers a safe haven for wildlife and the creation of Mkata flood plain. Take time to visit this flood plain on your southern circuit safari.
• By Road: The park lies to the west of Dar es salaam and is accessible through Morogoro - Iringa highway also called Tanzam highway. From Selous Game Reserve the park is accessible via Pwaga and Mahondo Ranger Posts.
• By Air: Air transfers are usually done on 4 to 30 seater air crafts through Mikumi airport located at Kikoboga near the park headquarters.
(Make sure to contact us if you wish to visit this game park for your next south Tanzanian safari circuit holiday activity.)
Park charges are based on " " Tanzania tourism development tariffs which are reviewed from time to time. The rates we have quoted here are for information purposes and are indicative of the likely park charges you can incur. They are NOT accurate but approximate. However please note that if you have booked a complete wildlife safari package with us, park charges are included in the total cost of your safari at the time of booking. Therefore you need not worry about park entry fee!
Tourism development levy - It currently stands at US$ 1.5 per person per day including children.
• This park accepts Safari Cards.
• Park Entry Fee are based on Tourism development Tarrifs.
• Tanzanian law protects the whole Mikumi-Selous ecosystem from human pressures. It prevents human-wildlife conflict. As a visitor, you are therefore required to leave the park as tidy as you found it. Litering and dropping rubbish is strictly prohibited. You will be prosecuted if you violate these rules.
• If you take a walking safari along the forests, rivers and lakes, it is your responsibility to ensure that you keep a safe distance from wild animals and wear life jackets and other recommended items for your safety while in the water ways.
• The park is open daily from 7:00 am to 6:00 pm.
• Entry on foot is prohibited and visitors are turned away after 5:30 pm.
• Entry to the park is by smart card only, obtained and loaded at the main gates.
• Children must be accompanied by an adult at all times.
Scheduled local flight services to Mikumi are available from Kilimanjaro, Arusha, Dar es salaam and Zanzibar Airports.
Airport transfers are available at an additional charge. Please let us know that we need to pick you up at the airport upon your arrival. Do not assume.